It’s been a few years now since I’ve stopped making new years resolutions. Mostly because I realized that they don’t stick. It’s hard enough to come up with something to resolve to change or do, but it’s another to actually follow through with it. RIGHT?!?!
What I should really do is set goals! For those not familiar with the difference, a resolution is a general statement about what you want to change (i.e. I want to lose weight). Goals are more specific (i.e. I want to lose 10 pounds by June 2018 so I can have more energy, be stronger and feel better about how my body looks). Goals answer the who, what, where, when and why questions. However, I also didn’t set any goals this year. Mostly because I wasn’t organized enough, but also because I’m more of a visual person. And that is why I’ve decided to create a vision board instead (on Pinterest though because I’m trying to keep up with the times).
And yes, I get the irony that I’m posting this at the end of January and not at the begining, but as the meme says:
I’ve decided that my 2018 will start on February 1st, January was a free trial month!
So… what’s on my vision board? It’s a bit of a smorgasbord of things.
- The obvious – getting fit. Yup… this goal reared up its ugly head again. It’s something that I’ve been struggling to do for the past two years and I was hoping I can start again this year. Except, it might not happen until the summer if I’m really realistic about it! But that’s fine – June is still 2018! So even though it’s not something I’m working on NOW, it’s still something I plan to focus on this year and to kick my a$$ in gear as I begin training for a full marathon (my before 40 goal). It’s also more than just having a fit body though – I also want to focus on having a fit mind! Mindful meditation is something else that I want to start doing this year. Any app recommendations?
- Less screen time for ME- yup, another goal that keeps rearing it’s ugly head. But this year, it’s especially important to me as this is the last year I’m home with any of the boys. Next year Nathan starts school and I’ll have every day to myself! So while it’s hard for me to fully be in the moment with him (and my other boys) 24/7, I do want to do a better job of putting the phone down and getting on the floor and playing with him. It’s only going to be a matter of time before the tables are reversed and he’ll be using technology full time and I’ll be vying for his attention but he’ll be “too busy”. I don’t want to look back and regret it! On a personal level, I want to reduce my addiction to social media and technology too. A simple step that I’ve already taken that has helped significantly was to turn off my notifications on my smart phone. Seriously, I hardly check FB & Twitter anymore. It’s made a big difference for me.
- Become more confident in the kitchen – this has been something that I’ve struggled with my whole life. Mostly because I don’t LOVE the act of cooking or baking. Rather, I do it out of necessity. I also don’t feel comfortable around food and just putting things together. I need a recipe and a picture before I can make something new. I started strong on meeting this goal. Part of it was signing up for monthly food subscription boxes (I’m going to write a future post about the services that I’ve used and what I thought of them). The other part of it was finding some healthy baking recipes and have put some time aside on the weekends (when I actually have time) to try them out. I even made my first home-made bread!! If I can do it, anyone can. Feel free to message me if you want any recipes or are looking for tips or advice on how to start. Another focus for later on in the year (September) is to start helping my mom cook for the Jewish holidays so I can learn all of her recipes so I can start making them myself and be able to pass it on to my kids and so on…
- Travel more – traveling is a big passion of mine. We actually traveled a lot last year (and pretty much every year before that), so it’s not necessarily something that I really need to focus on, but it’s something that I love and want to do. Unfortunately, we will probably do less traveling this year (for financial reason). But I already found a way to make it work. I’ll be flying to Poland this May on a special trip to visit the concentration camps where my grandparents were sent. It will be an emotional trip but an important one as it’s close to home (all of my grandparents are Holocuast survivors) and I will be going with a Holocaust survivor. I can’t wait to go and tell you all about this trip. Also, we’re going to be going to Vermont over March Break for a ski trip through my blog. So I already have so much to look forward to!!
- Make more money – for the past two years I’ve been fortunate enough to watch my blog grow and grow in ways that I never could have imagined. I really want to take that momentum and turn this blog from a part-time paying gig to a full-time paying gig (I call it a gig because it’s not a job but rather something that I’m passionate about and do out of my own accord – what would you call that?). Of course I want to ensure that my time is focused on those projects that speak to me and my core – which is showing the real side of parenting. I would also like to focus on more social projects, which brings me to my next goal…
- Give-back! Last, but not least, I want to find a way to give back more this year. John and I always say how fortunate we are. There’s so much to be grateful for, but it’s not enough to just say it or only support them financially. I want to take action too! Besides supporting my favourite organizations via my blog, I want to give my time to help my local community too. So starting in September (yes, I have a lot of goals that I plan on starting in September), when all 3 boys are in school full-time, I plan on starting to volunteer regularly. I don’t take this responsibility lightly, that’s why I only want to commit to it when I can give it my full attention and time.
Although I have a few other small goals (like learning more about interior design and improving my photography skills), that’s about it for my goals / vision board! You can see it all on my Pinterest board HERE!
What did you do this year? Make a resolution? Set goals? Create a vision board? Let me know what your plans for 2018 are!!