Summer might be half over, but if you’re Canadian, you probably like to think of it in a positive way – “there’s still a month left of summer break!” As a cottage owner, that’s how I like to look at it, although I am already excited for the kids to go back to school. August happens to be my favourite time at the cottage. The water is warmer, the bugs are gone, the kids are used to the long drives, meteor showers are in season and I cherish every day up here more than the last. August is also great because the month typically starts and ends with a long weekend.
This will be my 14th summer up at our cottage and after many years of spending time up here, pre-kids, with a newborn and now with three kids ages 7 and under, I feel like I have a good handle on what I consider to be cottage essentials – like the Kindle Paperwhite which I wrote about HERE. My recommendations take into account the fact that the cottage is about relaxing and unwinding while having fun in the sun and under the stars.
With this in mind, I’m excited to announce that I have partnered with the Amazon.ca Associate Program for the rest of 2017. I’ll be sharing my favourite products and new finds twice a month. As someone who uses Amazon.ca for both my daily and seasonal needs (I just purchased five different kid birthday gifts from there last week), I know this is going to be a natural fit for my blog.
So whether you’re visiting a friend for a long weekend and need some stuff for yourself or a hostess gift or perhaps you’re looking to update your current cottage inventory, here is a list of my favourite cottage essentials that can be purchased with a click of a button from Amazon.ca.
- A beach bag is essential for the cottage. You will need one to help you carry your “essentials” from the cottage to the dock. I personally love this nylon tote bag from ZWOOS because it’s waterproof!
- Water sandals are key. You will need something that slips on and off easily and can withstand getting wet. This Crocs Isabella T-strap jelly sandals is a great option for those who are squirmy about standing in lake water but also want to look stylish!
- Since comfort and relaxation at the cottage is key, I always like to keep a few throw blankets out for my family and guests. I love this 100% cotton Handloom Stars Throw with twisted fringe blanket. You can also take it outdoors for picnics.
- My husband always makes fun of my obsessions with water floats, but they are pretty amazing (besides making a great prop for pictures). I personally like the ones that don’t have any holes in the middle – like this giant Unicorn float.
- I have a recent obsession with round towels. Again – super cute for pictures, but also really practical. They are great for the kids to sit on the dock and to keep them warm after a big swim in the lake. I really like the colours and design on this 60″ Winthome Mandala Microfiber round towel with tassels.
- Cottage wear means comfort first and foremost, but that doesn’t mean you still can’t be stylish. I’m a big fan of anything flannel for the cottage – especially at night time when it cools down. Look and feel good while roasting marshmallos in this Legendary Whitetails Cottage Escape flannel top.
- I love gifting this Galileo Thermometer. It’s practical and is a great conversation piece.
- White noise machines are a must if you’re heading to a cottage with a baby (and a toddler that still naps). I’ve been using this HoMedics one since Kyle was born.
- Cottage mornings are not complete until I have my coffee in a big mug. I love this morning mug that changes after your pour in hot coffee!
- For some reason, I never have enough food storage containers at the cottage. I like that this ones can be microwavable (time saver with leftovers). It also makes a great hostess gift – bring your meal in this Corelle 6-piece country cookware set and leave them behind as a thank-you!
- When it rains, head in doors and colour away in this Great Canadian Cottage Colouring Book. Rip out the pages and hand them out to the kids. You can even hang up the finished pages as decorations around the cottage. Also a great option for a hostess gift!
- Unwind at night with your favourite (red or white) wine on the dock. Use these plastic wine glasses so you don’t have to worry about any glass breaking by the water.
Disclosure: I am participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites. All opinions are my own.