I distinctly remember my first Halloween – likely because I was 10 when I started celebrating Halloween. As new immigrants, we were not familiar with the tradition of dressing up and going trick-or-treating. It was a last minute decision that was made through the influence of our guests who happened to be over Halloween night. They had lived in Canada a few years longer than us and had a daughter just a few years younger than me. The moms put some make-up on our faces, threw on some random clothes and we went out as hippies! It was the best effort considering the time limitation and regardless, it worked! I remember going door-to-door, knocking and singing the full “trick or treat, smell my feet…” song at each home. To say the least, I was over-joyed and was glad to have experienced this before my ‘trick-or-treating’ time was up.
That was over 20 years ago, and now Halloween has become a big celebration in our house. Every year, we host my parents, my brother’s and John’s brother’s family over for Halloween. We order in Sushi for the adults and make pasta for the kids. We take pictures at home before we head out trick-or-treating. It helps that we live in a neighborhood that takes this holiday very seriously. It also helps that the houses are so close to one another that the kids can fill up an entire bag in about half an hour. The kids ages range between 2 and 11, so we usually last for about an hour max, with the older ones trailing not far behind.
It’s such a fun holiday and I can’t wait to start decorating our house for it. I mean, you get to dress up and collect candy – what’s not to like?
If you’re still searching for a costume for your kids (I still need to buy for my oldest two boys), here are some of my picks for you, all available on Amazon.
1. It seems like this is the most popular costume this year. It’s almost sold out everywhere. You can still get your Harry Potter costume HERE.
2. Super hero costumes are also big this year. I love the “puffed out” chest on this Super Man costume. Also doubles as a warm coat if the weather doesn’t cooperate Halloween night.
3. This year’s biggest blockbuster movie left a lasting impression on girls – in the most perfect way possible. I love that this Wonder Woman costume comes with pants vs. a skirt!
4. Shark week anyone??? If I still had a baby in the house, I would totally dress them up as this shark!
5. This Star Wars Rey costume is for girls, but I might have to get one in my size too!
6. I got my kids a Pikachu costume for Halloween 2 years ago. They still use it for dress-up!!
What are your kids dressing up as this year for Halloween?
Disclaimer: The links included are affiliate links as this is sponsored post from Amazon Canada that’s a part of the Amazon Associate campaign.