Lately my kids have been watching some of my favourite movies as a kid. Their current favourite is Mighty Ducks. Obviously because it based around hockey. Even though they watch it on Netflix, they know it’s a movie, which makes it special (compared to a show). That’s why they always request POPCORN as soon as I turn it on. While I don’t mind them eating popcorn once in a while, I would prefer that they snack on something healthier while still feeling like they’re getting a “treat”. Melissa Jacks, a parent and nutritionist, sent me a great recipe this week to do just that. Here’s what Melissa had to say about the roasted chickpeas:
Never in a million years thought these would be a hit for kids but they are crunchy and salty and can be a great balanced snack. They are a good alternative to popcorn! Chick peas are high in protein, fiber and a good source of energy. Sprinkle your favorite spices on them for added flavor.
I bet that these snacks would be a hit with adults as well. Serve them up as an appetizer at your next party or enjoy them yourself when watching your favourite movies or shows. Bon Appetit!
Prep Time: 5 Minutes Cook Time: 30 Minutes Ready in: 35 Minutes Serves: 4 servings
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- ¼ tsp each salt and pepper
- ½ tsp paprika
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp ground cumin (optional)
- 2 cups chick peas, canned, rinsed and drained
- 1.Preheat oven to 400° F. Whisk the oil, salt and pepper, paprika, garlic powder and cumin together in a small bowl; add the chickpeas and toss to coat.
- 2.Spread onto a greased baking sheet. Roast, stirring occasionally, until browned and crispy, about 30 minutes.
For more great recipes and nutritional information and tips, check out Melissa Jacks on FACEBOOK & at www.melissajacks.com